I know, I know, there are a bunch of disappointed kids this year because many neighborhoods are deciding to not engage in trick or treating festivities. I get it, I feel bad too! Halloween has always been a really fun time for our family, and in previous years, we’ve enjoyed getting dressed up and creating lots of family memories like these.
However, as one neighborhood after another decided to forgo trick or treating this year, I suggested an alternative, a patio party for our family.
And – Lo & Behold, they are excited!
Patio party, here we come!
If you are facing a similar crisis with your crew, I thought I’d let you in on what we’re doing and maybe you might consider a similar option (costumes not included).
First, a pumpkin pinata, of course! I bought this one on Amazon for $25.99. Get it here.
We’re obviously going to fill it with candy and beat it to smithereens until the goods come spilling out.
SLIME! I found a heck of a prime deal on this slime kit and the intention was to save it for Christmas but then I thought, hmmmm, slime and Halloween, they go together, and bonus, let’s keep the mess on the patio, right? Kids will have a blast. Get Yours.
We have three games we’re going to play and each one will offer a prize–
1. Corn Hole. Love this inexpensive kit on Amazon. Get it here.
2. Giant Jenga. We received this a few years ago and it has brought lots of fun to our family. Buy yours.
3. Fishing! We’re going to fill up a big pail with water and let the kids go fishing! Annabelle will LOVE it. Get it here.
Our party will also include lots of Little Ceasars pizzas, a mildly scary movie like Casper the friendly ghost on our outdoor patio screen – we have gotten SO much use out of this – hot apple cider and popcorn.
BUY MOVIE SCREEN HERE – This makes an AWESOME family Christmas gift (that’s what we did last year).
That’s it! Chime in and let me know what you’re doing for Halloween during these unprecedented times.
And, join me on Instagram for all the fun!
(This post has affiliate links)
Who’s taking full advantage of Prime Day?! This girl sure is! I know, ridiculous photo. It looks like I’m shooting myself but whatever… I don’t have time to take 500 selfies.
Here are a few of the great deals I’ve found so far, and yes, totally Christmas shopping. I’ve already pulled the trigger on most of these!
What are y’all finding? Link up the good deals in the comments below, and let’s go shopping!
1. LifeStraw Personal Water Filter for Hiking, Camping, Travel, and Emergency Preparedness – Regularly $20, now only $9.99 for clean water anywhere. I bought a few of these.
2. Echo Show 5 Charcoal with Blink Mini Indoor Smart Security Camera, 1080 HD with Motion Detection Normal Price $125, now $49.95! Awesome deal for peace of mind. This is headed straight to Luke’s room where I hope and pray it enables him to have more independence and security.
3. IPad Mini I am admittedly going back and forth about treating myself to this. I currently have one, an older model and I LOVE it. It’s compact, much easier to lug around in my purse than a full size Ipad, and literally is my life line. Everything I write and do is on this baby. Seriously at this price, I should buy two. From $400 to $335.
4. Super cute down coat that I love and sometimes you just buy super cute things that you love. Down from 46.77 to 36.48 after you enter the code UZ2ZSHOW.
5. I don’t know about you guys, but my girls love scrunchies (and so do I!). These are going to make great stocking stuffers. 60 Pcs Premium Velvet Hair Scrunchies Hair Bands for Women or Girls Hair Accessories with Gift Bag, Great Gift for Holiday Seasons. Normally $17.99 now $7.99!
6. Ryan and I found the cutest vintage dresser for Jada and Annabelle last weekend, but in using it we had to remove their bookshelf because the room is too small to hold both. Thankfully these Floating Shelves will be the perfect replacement. Regular price $19.00, now $12.47!
7. Perfect snack holder for my teenage boys in their dungeon (basement). I’m SO over picking up all of the empty containers of peanuts and chips. Normal Price $48.99 now only $28.73.
8. My kids are obsessed with slime and if I’m honest, I don’t allow it in the house because we’ve had too many problems in the past but at this price on this DIY slime kit, I will allow it on the patio. At originally $60, it’s now a steal at 15.17 with a 20% off coupon at checkout.
9. Josh and Jada are obsessed with LEGOS and this Advent Calendar is super cute – especially with the holidays arriving. Regular price $30.00, now only $19.97.
10. We have a Roku and we love it! At this price I bought two more. Normally $40, now $27.
11. Play-Doh Gingerbread House. Cutest thing ever and Annabelle will love it (and it’s sugar free!) $9.99
12. iCOVER Sun Shade Sail perfect for a patio area that I’d love to utilize more but don’t because of the sun beating down. $21.75
Ta Da! Shop my look.
I’ve detailed my issues with hair loss in a recent blog post which can be read here but as my hair grows back I’ve found that I really like to use hair pieces in small (believable) amounts like this one from Amazon for $8.49. Can’t get any easier than this thing. Purchase here
I am also wearing another new favorite, magnetic lashes. I’m not a glamour girl, but if I want to amp it up a notch, these are my go to. I’m also not one to spend a lot of time trying to figure out weird products (I gave up on lashes years ago!) but these couldn’t be easier to apply. Swipe the magnetic liner on and slap the eyelash on, and I’m good to go. Regular price$ 24.98. Prime day price $19.23. Buy Here
AND FINALLY – to polish off my 5 minute look are these earrings that are awesome and come in a package of 14. If you don’t want a particular color, give it to your best friend. You can’t go wrong at $16.99 – that’s like $1 a pair. Get Em.
That’s it! Let me know what you’re finding!
Just Keep Livin!
(affiliates used in this post).
Here’s the second post in a series about the numerous side effects of being a caregiver. I gave a short list of many of the side effects I’ve experienced in my journey in last week’s post where I highlighted a recent struggle with hair loss, and the ways I’ve combated this ridiculousness.
The next most common side effect I’ve experienced related to being a caregiver has been insomnia. Part of this is absolutely related to caring for 8 children, and part of it, I’m sure, has to do with this lovely stage of life I’m currently in called peri-menopause.
Now given, I am the most OCD sleeper on the planet, and I hate this facet of my personality. I am way too in my head and really struggle to sleep outside of my normal environment or routine. I am extremely envious of people who can sleep anywhere and everywhere but this is not my reality.
A few things that I must do before going to bed.
First, good nights and hugs for the kids, read Annabelle a story, and give Luke his meds. Draw the room darkening shades and curtains. I require pitch black in order to sleep. Then I do 15-20 minutes of restorative yoga, take a warm bath with Epsom salts (I like these)
and take one willow bark – a natural Advil alternative
and one L-theanine which is good for relaxation and gut health.
After my bath, I take two of these magnesium supplements which I have found to be hands down the most helpful in my journey towards natural sleep preparation. In fact, I ran out of this particular brand for about two weeks, and I used another brand which I had on hand, and I kid you not, I did not sleep very well. This brand is AMAZING.
I really, really try to avoid Advil or Benedryl because I know they’re not great for me or my liver.
And, at 9:30, it’s time for yogi tea mixed with Reishi mushroom – both which have a calming effect on my racing mind and take approximately 30 minutes to kick in and then it’s lights out at 10:00 p.m.!
I’d say the tea and mushroom put me to sleep quickly and the triple calm magnesium keeps me asleep (for the most part) and last but not least, I rub tiger balm on my hips which have been aching since giving birth to my baby 5 years ago! Get some here.
That’s it. My extremely OCD sleep routine which is admittedly ridiculous, but I can’t function without sleep – especially as a caregiver to 8 children. Yes, I’ve tried Valerian and Melatonin. Both give me weird dreams. Maybe this routine will help someone else in need of a solid night of sleep.
Just keep livin!
(This post does contain affiliate links which I may receive compensation for).